Eight of us had a mostly pleasant ride around Vashon. The qualification of "mostly" explained below.
- AVOID riding Vashon on the Sunday after Father’s Day. That is the day of the annual N.W. Small Bore Motorcycle Rally. If you choose to ride on that day, you will be visited by apocalyptic plagues of old, smoke-belching, ear-splitting motor bikes. While their operators were nice enough, the presence of hundreds of these bikes was not.
- When getting off the ferry, as bikes and pedestrians debark first, to avoid being passed by an endless stream of cars on the long uphill grind from the ferry, pull off to the right shortly after walking your bike off the ferry. Wait for cars to clear and the ride up the hill will be more pleasant. The debark and wait option works well for most rides that involve a ferry.
- The Vashon Ride route has been updated to version #3 in COGS’ RWGPS library. These new edits include:
- o An option for avoiding the often congested four-way stop in downtown Vashon.
- o An option for keeping us off the Vashon Highway for as long as possible on the return ride to the ferry. Thankyou Mel for this suggestion.
- o Incorporation of WSDOTS recommended downhill route for returning to the ferry. This new downhill option is safer. Avoids the risk of being doored while zooming downhill alongside the long string of cars backed up waiting for the ferry.
- And most important, a new lunch option in downtown Vashon was visited and gets good marks. Our regular burrito stop, Zamorana Mexican is closed on Sundays. The new option, Camp Colvos Brewing, has nice large shaded picknick tables and a decent menu for a brewery. Colvos Brewing and Zamurana are on the same side of the street on adjacent blocks.
While at Colvos, Arnie, opted for a liquid lunch. Thirty-two ounces of a nap inducing local brew. Makes waiting for the ferry go faster. Too fast for some.